Legal and Financial Advice
Obviously, the best place to go for legal and financial advice is your solicitor or financial advisor, although there is plenty of information available online and we provide some useful links for you on this page. However, solicitors are expensive, while the law around divorce understandably does not concern itself with new partners, so there is not always a clear-cut answer about what should be done in many of the situations second wives find themselves in.
We are not a substitute for professional advice, but many members have shared their experiences or can offer an opinion on many issues, including:
- Do you need to disclose your income or assets to an ex-wife? *
- Should your income be taken into account when assessing child maintenance? *
- Should child maintenance change when you and your husband have children of your own? **
- Can an ex-wife withhold access just because you are around? *
- Can you pick up step-children from school? ** Attend parent-teacher meetings? **
- What are your options when an ex-wife will not obey a court order?
- When is court worth it?
- Can you self-rep successfully? **
- What should you do if you are being harassed or threatened or even assaulted?
You may also want to look at our Divorce page.
* Usually, No!! ** Usually, Yes!!